26.12.09

THE HOLIDAY TEXT MESSAGE 12.26.09

The Holiday Text Message usually occurs on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Eve.  I personally like the HTM.  It’s a nice little greeting you can send to or receive from your friends, relatives, and acquaintances. You can say Happy Whatever to the people you wouldn’t normally call on this occasion, but that you would say this greeting to if you saw them face-to-face.

When the HTM first gained popularity, not everyone was on board. Not everyone had unlimited texts and not everyone knew what to do with all of the attention. And then there are the folks who don’t have your number but you have theirs. Your message is usually followed by a “Who is this?” return text.


This brings me to the funny or colorful Holiday Text. Some folks have a campier sense of humor than others so more interesting text messages are sent. This makes the “Who is this?” return text even funnier.


I admit I am guilty of sending both regular and funny HTM. I had every intention of following through this Christmas. After all I got at least 15 of them myself. Settled down on Christmas day, I take a break from the yummy food and movie marathon. I draft the perfect message with a nice Christmas greeting but a little campy and sweet at the same time. This being my first Christmas with an iPhone, I am still figuring out how to mass text. Needless to say, it was taking a very long time to add each recipient one by one. And then I get to ten recipients and it stops. Won’t let me add any more. Whoa Nellie. I usually send about 150 – 175 of these things. Sadly, technology got the best of me. I was in the middle of a food/couch/movie coma and not really in the mood to spend an hour lightly touching my iPhone just to participate in this social activity.

So while I find the Holiday Text Message a delightful activity…I was unable to participate.

Although there is always New Year’s Eve. That is of course when everyone sends them AT THE SAME TIME. Ahhh the chaos ensues….

1 comment:

  1. Hi Molly here! Funny thing about the group text on the iPhone, while I was learning how to use it I accidentally sent a group text to the same person almost a hundred times! I'd like to think it wasn't my fault. ;) Must be a common problem because I usually get a bunch of them, but this year not very many and hmmmm most of my friends have iPhones!

    ReplyDelete