24.1.10

PRETTY FOR A CAUSE 1.23.10

A few years ago I started using my pin-up superpowers for a greater good: helping others. Along the way I get asked to do really cool events to benefit my own charity and other charities too. 
  
Recently we were asked to help out with the Gay Bingo event because the theme was “Bootcamp”. This event benefits the Life Long Aids Alliance and the Chicken Soup Brigade. There was a 700+ room full of attendees and volunteers in various forms of cammo and military costume. It was also my first interaction with the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. They were a mixture of drag, nun-ery, essential volunteer, and all around awesomeness. Their costumes were not only creative and spectacular, but their face/drag make-up was particularly intense. A whole lot of work goes in to their look.

Toward the end of the event I stumble upon this particular Sister VixXxen. Sister V was drenched in pink cammo and had one of the best faces in the room. We collided and demanded a photo together as I had a pink cammo thing going on too. Our get-to-know you conversation included a rash of fawning over how pretty and fabulous each other was. This led to the technical aspect of theatrical makeup application and the time it takes. Then of course we started bragging (or confessing) about how long it actually takes.

Sister VixXxen took the conversation for a turn. She talked about how every minute it takes to get in character and apply her face is worth it when she makes a hospice visit to cheer someone up. Or when someone calls to say they are just lonely and need a friendly voice to help them get through a hard day. Sister VixXxen says “Of course I will. Be right there.”

This just melted my heart. It reminded me why I do what I do. That our beauty is only make-up deep, but we can really make a difference when we take the time to use it to help others.



Sister VixXxen/Marcos Chavez III & Miss Kitty Baby



1 comment:

  1. Miss Kitty Baby, little did you know that you met one of the strongest and most magical Sisters on this planet! I've met Sister VixXxen on many occasions and always walk way feeling, well, "Wow!" (is there a better word for that?) For all the time she puts into becoming a Sister, I notice it's never about her - always about you.

    ReplyDelete